The Gardeners Exchange Group is a great resource for local sources of garden materials within WV, VA, MD, & PA. Here are listings that were compiled at meetings. Please e‑mail your comments and suggestions to the website.
- Andre Viette Farm & Nursery; Rt. 1, Box 16 State Rd 608 Fishersville, Va 22939 (540‑942‑2118, 540‑943‑2315, fax 540‑943‑0782). Broad selection of high quality perennials, beautiful display, large selection of of day lilies and irises. Plants organized by uses and/or cultural requirements. Classes by Andre Viette conducted at nursery. Catalogue includes section on design.
- Appalachian Gardens; P.O. Box 82, 410 Westview Ave., Waynesboro, PA (717‑762‑4312, fax 717‑762‑7532). Small good plants, bushes and trees.
- Carroll Gardens; P.O. Box 310, 444 E. Main St. Westminster, MD 21138 (410‑848‑5422, 800‑638‑6344). Wide selection of trees, shrubs, vines and perennials. Note: Currently suspending business.
- Field of Flowers; 37879 Allder School Road, Purcellville, VA (540‑338‑7231). Fabulous collection of annuals and perennials, cut flowers, beautifully designed butterfly garden and a barn filled with garden ornaments and tools.
- Heritage Rosarium (Nick Weber); 211 Havilland Mill Rd., Brookeville, MD (301‑774‑2806 evenings and week‑ends). By appointment during rose blooming season. Propagates mostly older varieties of roses on their own roots. Wide selection.
- Lyle C. Tabb & Sons, Inc.; Mulch, Livestock Bedding, Sifted Topsoil & Compost; Containers rented for wood and manure removal. 1040 Old Leetown Pike, Kearneysville WV 25430 (Cam Tabb: 304-676-5703).
- Peach Tree Aquatic Farm; Great Koi and Expert Pond Work. Paul Peach, owner. 3011 Swinging Bridge Rd., Hedgesville, WV 25427 (304-754-4797).
- Rainbow Iris Garden; Walter and Sara Marley, 13358 Sagle Road, Purcellville, VA (540‑668‑9004). Large selection and inexpensive. Open May through June during iris blooming season.
- Sunny Meadows Nursery; 7437 Sharpsburg Pike, Boonsboro, MD 21713 (301-432-2327).
- Waterway Nurseries; 13015 Milltown Rd, Lovettsville, VA 20180 (540‑822‑5994). Large selection of native and water plants with emphasis on those which are indigenous to the eastern US. Purpose of the nursery is to promote and preserve native plants which are also beneficial to wildlife. The demonstration gardens surround a circa 1800 farmhouse, spring house and ponds. Call for directions.
- Welltown Nursery; Welltown Rd., Martinsburg, WV 25401 (304‑263‑3983). Local nursery which gives good advice, takes special orders and also does landscaping.
- Winston Gardens; 1121 Hollida Lane, Martinsburg, WV 25404 (304-267-6924). Owned by GEG members Virginia and Eldon Winston, who grow and propagate native shrubs and trees.
- Zetts Tri State Fish Farm and Hatchery; Rt. 2, 878 Hatchery Road, Inwood, WV 25428 (304‑229‑3654). Call ahead for directions and to place order. Inexpensive fish including Koi, water lilies and other plants for ponds.
Local Herb Suppliers
- Buffalo Springs Herb Farm; Raphine Road, P.O. Box 163, Raphine, VA (540‑348‑1083). Classes in design, arranging, and drying herbs. All types of plants available including potted plants, dried arrangements, beautiful perennial gardens, annuals and a pond. Just lovely and worth the trip. Note: Farm sold?
Local Bulb Providers
- Daffodil Mart; 7463 Hathaway Trail, Gloucester, Va 23061 (1800‑all‑bulb). Great selection of bulbs. Note: Daffodil Mart was owned and operated by Brent and Becky Heath. The company was purchased by White Flower Farm several years ago, and the Heath’s launched Brent and Becky’s Bulbs.